Looking for PMS treatment?
Some women experience such intense PMS symptoms during ovulation and even right through menstruation that they can hardly think straight.
When they come to us looking for PMS relief, the most common complaints we hear are about severe pain, menstrual cramps, bloating, water retention, heavy flow and irritability.
Dysmenorrhea (aka painful menses) is a very common reason for a woman to see a naturopathic doctor, who can help you feel better in as little as 2 cycles.
If you’re looking for relief, here are some PMS treatment tips from some of our naturopathic doctors in our Toronto clinic…
Dr. Tehseen Meghji, Naturopathic Doctor – Toronto, ON
- Estrogen imbalance. The PMS symptoms you’re experiencing are often the result of some type of hormonal imbalance, especially with regards to estrogen.
- Avoid xenoestrogens. These are often found in plastic water bottles, other plastic containers and plastic wrap. They’re even found in some shampoos and cosmetics, so you’ll want to find non-toxic versions of these products. Even unfiltered water can be a problem. Decreasing your use of plastics, toxic care products and unfiltered water will decrease xenoestrogens in your body, which can lead to a decrease in PMS symptoms.
- Eat organic animal products. Conventional meat and dairy products that are injected with synthetic hormones can also contribute to hormonal imbalance, so be sure to go for organic if you eat animal products.
- Other hormonal imbalance. PMS symptoms are often the result of excess estrogen and a deficiency in progesterone, and it can also be an imbalance of other hormones such as thyroid or cortisol. A naturopathic doctor can help you figure this out and then move you towards balance by making nutritional changes and using homeopathic medicine and botanical tinctures as PMS treatment.
Dr. Kate Whimster, Naturopathic Doctor
- Herbs. Herbs such as cramp bark can be very helpful for short term PMS relief.
- Seed protocol. Consuming specific seeds at certain times each month is a common PMS treatment method to help with hormonal imbalances.
- Success story. Dr. Whimster used cramp bark and the seed protocol along with acupuncture to help
a womengo from extremely painful PMS to no pain by her third visit. Anti inflammatoryspices and supplements such as turmeric and fish oil can also help bring short term relief.
- Long term. A number of modalities can help decrease or even eliminate your symptoms in the long term, especially naturopathic remedies, homeopathic remedies
anddrainage. Also, changes to your birth control method, diet and exercise regimen can have a tremendous impact.
- Success story. Dr. Whimster has a client who hadn’t had a period for one year since going off the pill. Using a combination of herbs, drainage
andacupuncture, she got her period after 6 months and eventually, she got pregnant.
If you’re looking for help with PMS, contact us at 416-792-4400 or by using the form below and we’ll book you for a FREE 15-minute phone or in-person consultation with one of our naturopathic doctors.