In Part 1 I described what a detox/cleanse is and what parts of the body are involved.
What are some signs or symptoms that you require a detoxification?
- Lack of energy
- Weight gain
- Irritability, depression
- Sluggish digestion
- Gas, bloating
- Constipation or irregular bowel movements
- Clogged sinuses
- Brain fog, “spaciness”, lack of concentration
- Aching muscles or joints
- Dark circles under eyes, puffiness
There is a relationship between the seasons and diet. Spring and autumn are key times for detoxification. Now that it is springtime we may want to incorporate more citrus and fresh greens and juices. More fresh fruits and vegetables is appropriate when going into summer and for our diet in the winter we may use more legumes, vegetables, whole grains like brown rice and eat soups.
Safe Steps for Detoxification
- Set Realistic Expectations
- You may not lose weight but you will have clarity and lightness
- Select a Weekend
- You can be in the comfort of your own home if you need to rest
- Wean caffeine to avoid a headache
- If you are a caffeine drinker weaning is the best way to avoid a headache before your detox program.
- Remove all processed/packaged foods and refined sugars
- These are dense foods and cause congestion
- Wheat, rye, spelt, barley and kamut are high gluten grains that can be difficult to digest and cause inflammation
- Remove red meats, dairy, saturated fats and trans fats
- These are strengthening to the body and during a cleanse process these should be left out. Anywhere from 1-3 days.
- Eliminate caffeine and alcohol
- Caffeine is a stimulant and a diuretic, removal is best
- Alcohol is also a stimulant and contains sugars
- Begin the day with warm cup of lemon juice and water
- Lemons are alkalizing and help stimulate the gastric juices and are very detoxifying
- Include probiotics (friendly lactic bacteria such as Lactobacillus Acidophilus and Bifido bacterium)
- Benefits the immune system
- Breaks down toxins in the intestinal tract
- Slow Down
- Conserve your energy and listen to music, relax, read, meditate, nap
- Anticipate discomfort
- Side effects can include dizziness, fatigue, irritability, bad breath, headaches.
- You may feel cold, experience body aches or skin breakouts
- Drink plenty of water
- Drink half your body weight in ounces per day
- Water flushes toxins out of the body and gets into the body at the cellular level.
- Stay regular
- It is important to have regular bowel movements to remove toxins
- Include a supplemental fibre every morning before breakfast.
- Take your medications
- Do not forgo regular medications or supplements
- Eat lightly
- Break the detox by not gorging on heavy foods
- Eat lightly at first including simple foods like soups, salads in small amounts
- Ease in cooked whole grains.
Liver Tonic Recipe: